Easter Break: Flying up the coast to Lamu

Sunday, April 14, 2019

Flying over the savannah of eastern Kenya between Nairobi and Mombasa

After waking up in Nairobi, I headed to the smaller of the two Nairobi airports, Wilson airport.  This airport serves domestic flights around Kenya and private planes, mostly.  It was a rather interesting experience as it doesn’t have one central terminal. Each airline has their own building with their offices and their own little check-in counter and waiting room.  So, once you find the building of the airline you’re flying with somewhere along a long road of one after the other, you check in your luggage, get your boarding pass, and THEN they bus you back down to the one boarding gate, somewhere back by the entrance.  I was really glad that I had paid a little extra for the lady who runs the guesthouse where I stayed (who was really nice) to drive me down there, as she asked directions from the workers and got me to the right building. 

The city of Mombasa from above.  Maybe someday I'll make it back for a closer look.
I took a flight from Nairobi to Lamu, with a stop in Mombasa (a major city on the coast) on the way.  In Mombasa we just stopped to pick up more people; I didn’t have to get off the plane.  It was rather like a flying bus.  It was a beautiful sunny day and I had a window seat, so I enjoyed watching the coastline as we flew. 

Juice boxes on the plane!
Lamu has its own little airport on a nearly deserted island just across the channel; it’s the kind of place that only has one plane at a time, so you just get off the plane on the runway and walk yourself into the building.  Coming out the other side of the airport building, I followed everyone else down the path to the pier, where longboats were waiting to ferry us across to the town. 

Flying up the Kenyan coast

The marshy land along the coast near Lamu.

Getting off the flying bus...

Making my way into the airport...


0 comments:

Post a Comment