Happy Birthday Vivian and Prisca!

Friday, October 26, 2018


I had the chance to meet one of my future students before classes even started when the Shorts and I were invited for dinner at the home of a family they know well, who are members of the Kisongo church (a nearby town that we pass through on the way to Arusha frequently, and where the preaching school is located).  Augustine and Fillness have recently built a new house, so were happy to have friends over to see it now that they’ve moved in. They have four children; the oldest is already a student at the school, and the second, Prisca, would be starting the next week in preform.

It happened that the first three of their four children all have birthdays within a couple of days of each other; I think Vivian and Prisca’s might even be the exact same day, three years apart.  To celebrate, their parents brought up cake, decorated like a unicorn, for all of the students (so at least 150 people) on Friday night.

Unfortunately, I was late because I was teaching a remedial class for some of students, so I didn’t see the pre-cut cake, but I did see the aftermath--both Vivian and Prisca had been smeared with calke cake and had it in their hair.  :) At least they weren't soaking wet; the usual tradition here is to throw buckets of water on the birthday person.



Students sitting out watching their classmates play soccer after the party

0 comments:

Post a Comment