Wuhan: One of the Three Furnaces of China

Friday, August 31, 2012


Is it bedtime yet?  I nearly fell asleep at eight, which is unheard of for me.  I think it’s mostly the heat—they weren’t kidding when they called Wuhan one of the three furnaces of China, along with Chongqing and Nanjing.  Combine the haze of smog holding the air down, the summer sun, and the dozens of large lakes in the city, and you have a hot, sticky mess.  My campus is on a peninsula that juts out into Nan Hu (South Lake), so there's no escape from humidity here.  Seriously, it’s so humid here that I am drenched in sweat within seconds of walking out my door. Walk out the door, and it hits you like a wall; I know it's going to be hot, but I'm gasping for air in surprise every time anyhow.
I know it’s often this hot and sticky in Tennessee, too, but I worked in a bank there, and actually had to wear a jacket some days because it was so air-conditioned indoors.  But even there, I don’t remember having sweat dripping off of my and making my purse handles slippery just walking to my car.   

The first thing I do when I walk in the door to my apartment is run for the AC remote and crank it up; I live on the fifth floor, and by the time I hike up all those flights of stairs I just want to flop in front of the air and not move. But, tomorrow is the first of September...surely this heat can't hold out too much longer. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment