Suitcase Dreaming

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Is it weird that I daydream about packing when I’m bored?  Do any other travelers do that?  I mean, I’ve been thinking of my clothes in terms of whether they would make the cut to be put in the suitcase for months.  I’ve been mentally packed since before I signed the contract. 

Now, I’ve got less than two weeks until departure, so all that daydreaming is becoming a reality.  Of course, some items of clothing have fallen out of favor since I first began thinking about it, and several new things have made their way to the top of the list thanks to a little shopping spree at Wal-Mart the other night.  I have to be sure to take the clothes I’ll need, because I am sure not shaped like Chinese women.  If I have to, I could have some things made to fit; there is always a street where you can find excellent tailors, but some things would be a little embarrassing to have done that way. 
 
I had a three-day weekend in early July with no plans, so I drug out the suitcases (nearly two months early).  I sorted through my winter clothes and packed jackets, turtlenecks, and my corduroy  pants.  I chose several of my favorite scarves (you can't even tell there's a dent in the pile still hung over the headboard), and I got together all of my close-toed shoes that I knew I wouldn't wear again before leaving (between May and September, I live in flip-flops).  I've kept one of the suitcases sitting on the couch in my room, so I can toss miscellaneous items in as I think of them. 
 
And now, here I am, a week and a half until time to fly...my last day of work will be Friday, and then I leave the following Wednesday night (well, my flight isn't until 5:30 Thursday morning, but by the time you figure in an hour of drive time, and checking in three hours early, etc. I might as well say Wednesday night).  I'll have five days to finish up repacking what I'm taking and what I'm leaving.
 
I'm known as the master packer in my family; I've lived out of a backpack for weeks at a time, so I've had lots of practice at putting a lot into a small space.  When flying, weight, not space, is my limit; I could fit a lot more into my suitcases, but the darn weight restrictions limit me. 
 
Once I get settled into my new apartment, I guess I'll have to mentally start packing for winter break. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment