Wazungu Get-together

Saturday, February 29, 2020





On Saturday, February 29th, we had a get-together of all of us Americans (and Canadians) here in Monduli, Monduli Juu, and Kisongo.  I had been thinking of having it, and I organized it, but the Allisons offered to host since they have more seating for guests and I accepted, especially as I was pretty sick most of the week before so didn't have the energy to clean and prepare much beforehand; the day of the get-together was really the first day that I felt really well.  


We try to get together every now and then, especially for things like American holidays (Thanksgiving) that no one here cares about, and just to sing in our own language together for a while.  This time, I wanted to have a gathering so that Tammy and Deborah could see everyone while they were here without having to take up a lot of time visiting each family individually, and also because the Duncans (missionary family who work on the school of preaching farm in Kisongo) are moving back to the US in March, and so it was also a good chance for us all to see them one last time, and also for them not to have to take time to visit everyone individually as they're busy with a lot of goodbyes. 

Deborah was a huge help at my house preparing food to take.  The onions we chopped were so strong that we kept having to leave the room, despite the open window and blowing fan! We did a taco bar, which is what we usually do at these things (other than Thanksgiving).  We all miss good Mexican food, and it's such an easy thing to split up for different people to bring different items.  I brought some flour tortillas, shredded chicken, chopped onions, and sauteed peppers (I like my tacos as close to fajitas as possible), and others brought salsa, cheese, lettuce, more flour tortillas, corn tortillas, ground beef, a wonderful spicy corn dish, guacamole, cookies, etc.) 

I didn't get many pictures of the gathering itself, but here's one  I did take of all the kids playing as we sat around talking between dinner and singing time. 

"Wazungu", by the way, means 'foreigners' in Swahili, and it's what the locals call us.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment