Feels Like October in July Today

Thursday, July 16, 2020


It's cloudy today, which is a bit unusual for this time of year, but we're unlikely to get much rain.  The dry season is well underway now, despite today's clouds.  The cornfield across from my house is drying in the field.  Here, corn is mostly used to grind into meal for making ugali, so it's usually left to dry in the field for as long as possible before harvesting.  


Below: the road in front of my house.


The cloudy weather today and the drying corn stalks and sunflowers gave the day an autumnal feel, which I enjoyed since we don't really have the four seasons here.  This is our winter, the coldest time of year, but it's in the 70s most days. 




Above: we have a lot of sunflowers around here, too; there were some planted along the edge of the corn field that I enjoyed seeing this year.  Below: even the sticker weeds can be beautiful sometimes! 


I took these photos while I was out in front of my house, because the mobile signal is a bit better outside than in my house.  I was talking over whatsapp with my mom and grandmother; Nanny was in the hospital after heart surgery and Mom was staying with her.  It was three in the morning there, but Nanny's internal clock was off kilter after so many days in the hospital.  It was her 83rd birthday.  We've celebrated her birthday on July 19th all her life, but when she turned 70 and started looking into Medicaid and such, her original birth record was pulled and it turns out that the date on it was actually July 16th, so since then she's sort of had two birthdays.  

As it turned out, it was the last time I ever talked to her, as she passed the next week.  She was my last living grandparent, and she and I had always been very close.  Losing her is hard.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment