Reviving the Blog: A New Adventure

Saturday, August 25, 2018

Well, it's been nearly four years since my last proper update here.  I moved from Wuhan, China back to the US in 2015, and I've spent the last three years living in Nashville.  I wanted to be here for a few Thanksgivings and Christmases and birthdays with my family and friends, and I've enjoyed spending time on hobbies that aren't easy to take with me on the road.  I've been doing customer service for life insurance, which, while not a field I had ever imagined myself in, was a great job with great people and I've been blessed to have had that opportunity.  It's been good to be here, but the time has come to move on again.

I am leaving (in less than 48 hours--queue to-do-list panic) for a new chapter in my life.  Those of you who have known me a while know that I worked in Italy from 2006 to 2009, primarily in Milan alongside the Short family.  We have remained friends over the years, and they have now been in Monduli, Tanzania since 2014.  The oldest daughter in the family has been asking me ever since not if or will I come, but when are you getting here.  And now circumstances have worked out for me to join them in the work of Tanzania Christian Services.

Tanzania Christian Services is a church-of-Christ run nonprofit; the mission team in places runs Tanzania Christian Clinic and Alpha Omega Christian Secondary School.  With my previous experience in working with teenagers and teaching English, my role will be primarily with the school.


I'm looking forward to getting started!  I am leaving the US on August 27th (with a flight at 6 am...which means being at the airport around 4 am...I am not a morning person...), but I will be stopping in Italy for a few days on the way to visit friends from my years there.  Crazily enough, it works out to be only about $50 more to buy tickets that allow stopping there on the way than it would have to buy a plane ticket right to Tanzania.  I'm meeting the Shorts there, and we'll travel on to Tanzania together.  I should be actually arriving in Tanzania on September 5th.

I'm hoping to keep in touch with everyone through this blog and through other social media, as well as through a quarterly newsletter to my supporting churches.  Besides the blog, you can keep up with me these ways:

* My facebook page (primarily reposting what I write here, but if that format is easier for you to follow, feel free to follow my page): My Life in Monduli

* Instagram: foreverfreebird 

* Newsletter:  I have an email list to send out my quarterly newsletters; if you'd like to be on that list please send me a message through the contact box on the right side of the page with your email address.

More information to come in future posts; feel free to comment with any questions!


And with that, here we go again...




0 comments:

Post a Comment