Festival at Sable Square

Saturday, February 09, 2019


On a Sunny Saturday (and it's very American of me to keep referring to the weather; it's not rainy season so of course it's sunny.  Every Saturday in February is almost certain to be sunny and warm), Beth and I took the kids to the Arusha Lifestyle Market Festival at Sable Square.  Sable Square is a SouthAfrican-style complex including two grocery stores along with a few smaller shops and restaurants that is on the outskirts of Arusha in our direction. They have a festival two or three times a year; I missed the one in October when I was sick, but made it to this one.  Booths and tents are set up on the lawn and on the back parking lot; several of my favorite restaurants had booths, although most of the shopping was more touristy stuff.



It was fun to poke around the booths, and of course I ended up buying a few things.  I got a couple of cute little succulents in terra cotta pots as well as a wallet and bag in colorful kitenge fabric.  All of us except Rebecca decided to have lunch from the Taste of Mexico booth; the burrito I got was pretty good, though as usual I miss real sour cream.  Rebecca went inside the grocery store and bought pizza from the deli.  We were lucky to find a bench in the shade where we could eat.


Watching a demonstration of toffee candy being made.

0 comments:

Post a Comment