Rainy Season at the School

Monday, April 01, 2019


Rainy season generally starts at the end of February or early March, but it’s getting off to a late start this year. For me, it’s been nice, as it was a few extra weeks without mud, but the late start has caused a lot of issues for farmers.  They planted in February, having faith that the rains would come as they do every year, but many lost their crops as they withered (if they came up at all) in the dry weather.  Some can afford to replant now that it’s finally raining and seems set to continue, but many cannot afford to.  It will be a very difficult year for them without a crop they count on.  Whatever your thoughts on climate change, it’s easy to see here what a difference even a small change makes on people’s lives as the rainy season has become more unpredictable in recent years.

Generally, it doesn’t rain all day every day.  We haven’t had to have the morning assembly indoors yet, but it was a bit of a close call today. It usually rains hardest in the afternoon; I’m glad to be in the library where it’s dry. 


The mud is getting bad already—my (dirt) road has potholes full of sludge that are growing by the day.  Tammy was driving to my house from hers, and the car slid a full 180 to face the wrong direction as she was driving down her road.  Driving and walking in this mud is like being on ice.  I look quite elderly as I hobble around in my mud boots; I am determined not to end up on the ground, but I probably will at some point.  One year Lewis fell in the mud four times in one day; his children still remember that day fondly. 


The Tanzanians take the rainy season stoically; it doesn’t seem to slow anyone down much.  The students are already enacting rules about leaving shoes at the door of the library.  Moureen, our head student librarian, has become quite militant and heaven help anyone she catches inside with shoes on.  Sock feet only, or else we’ll be needing to mop the floor nearly every day.  She came in suddenly as a surprise and caught out several people; she gleefully made a list that she threatened to give to the discipline master and banned them from the library for the day.  I was there the whole time, but frankly I don’t usually pay that much attention to what people are doing at the door.  Fortunately, she has granted me an exception since I usually wear mud boots out and bring a second pair of shoes to wear indoors.  (And I hate walking around without shoes on concrete). 


Since it’s just started, not everyone has completely adjusted yet, though.  One student stopped to dither outside the library; he needed to be in the dining hall with everyone else for a meeting, but it was pouring down.  He asked to borrow my umbrella, but Mwelu had already borrowed it and hadn’t come back yet.  He dithered a bit more before I told him he was just going to have to make a run for it before he got in trouble for being late.  


So…rain, rain, and more rain.  And MUD.


0 comments:

Post a Comment