The Mbuzi Cup Begins...

Monday, July 22, 2019


Let the Mbuzi Cup begin!  This week, as something fun to kick off the new term, the teachers in charge of sports (Leah and Oscar) organized a sports tournament for the students.  Each afternoon during the sports time (five to six), there are games between the forms, with the championship game to played on Saturday afternoon.  The winning teams will receive a goat to roast and a case of sodas, hence the name Mbuzi Cup. (Mbuzi means goat in Swahili).  

The boys are playing football, and the girls are playing netball.  I'll post more photos of the girls' netball games later in the week.  For now, here are some photos of the first football match! 

The students and the dorm dad are enjoying watching the match.



Not all students are that interested in watching sports, so I was playing music in the library for those who wanted to hang out there.  When I was ready to leave, a few of the students walked me all the way to the car so that we could keep my laptop open and playing music until the last possible second. 

Norman, Regarn, unknown person's head, and Faith

Norman wanted to try scaring some people by taking my portable speaker up into the crowd watching football and then for me to suddenly turn on the music, blasting it loud.  I didn't think the speaker's range would make it; I walked back as far as the middle of the schoolyard in front of the library.  Apparently it did make it that far at least, but unfortunately for Norman nobody was much phased by sudden music.  I kept telling him to hurry back, as I was waiting for Lewis to leave and didn't want to hold him up when Norman was who-knows-where with my speaker, but it's Lewis, who always takes forever to get out of the office, so we had plenty of time for our shenanigans.


0 comments:

Post a Comment