Studying the Eastern Hemisphere

Tuesday, August 06, 2019


Since May, I've been meeting three or four times a week with the Shorts' younger two daughters to help out with their homeschooling.  I am teaching them history and geography; they have a curriculum from Sonlight that I really like the format of.  We're doing the Eastern Hemisphere curriculum. 

I really like this study because it goes fairly in-depth in the history and culture of countries that American schools don't usually spend much time on.  I remember doing a lot of American history in school, and world history usually seemed to be more just history of Western civilization.  Admittedly, it's been a while since I was in school, but I don't remember doing more than glancing at anything outside the US other than Egypt, Greece and Rome.  I also really like the study because I've been to some of the countries we're discussing, so I can share my experiences, and I'm learning a lot, too, as we study the ones I haven't been to or spent little time in.  


Each unit involves labelling a detailed map, doing a history timeline, discussing cultural items such as religion, art, music and current political structure.  We also have pages to fill out about famous sights in each country. We started with China in May, and then their Aunt Alethea took over while she was visiting in the month of June finishing up China and talking about Taiwan, and Tammy did part of the India unit with them while on a trip to Dodoma. In July we've covered the Koreas and Japan.  We're finishing up Japan now; the photo is from an activity page for Japan.  The girls each made a dictionary of Japanese words and decorated the front with a symbol of Japan--Deborah chose Mt. Fuji and Rebecca chose cherry blossoms.   

Next up: Russia! 





0 comments:

Post a Comment