New Kitenge Dresses!

Friday, April 24, 2020



I know they aren't great pictures, but I got my two new dresses today!  I've had the top fabric for a long time, since only a few months after I arrived in Tanzania, but hadn't done anything with it before now.  The second fabric I bought here in Monduli recently.  I didn't really need it, but I really like the pattern and it's just nice to have something new now and then, and I don't spend much on personal items here.  It's a rather slow time of year for Grace, my favourite seamstress, now that all the rush for school uniforms at the beginning of the year has finished, and I'm afraid that things might get rough here if there are a lot of closures in the future due to the virus, so I went ahead and had two dresses made.  I really like them!  I'm planning to save the top one for graduation this year.  If you can't see it well, it's a lime green pattern with big fuschia lilies all over it.  It's a little loud, but I love it.  I love the kitenge fabrics here; fair warning that when I do come back to the US I'm likely to dress rather loudly for local tastes. 

Also, have a view of my apartment from my dining table...and here's the second dress.  The background is mostly light blue with bits of green, with the major orange and black curlicue print.  I really like how it came out! I had her do a different neckline on this one, as all the rest I have are simple round necks.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment