Forbidden City From Above

Thursday, January 17, 2013

By Wednesday, the smog was finally clearing.  It was finally at what we would have called in Milan "really smoggy", which here, was "Oh, look how clean and clear it is!"  Context is everything, I guess.  

One of the things I definitely wanted to do this time in Beijing was go to Jingshan park, behind the Forbidden City.  If you climb to the top of the hill (which was created with the earth dug out to make the moat around the Forbidden City), you have the best view in Beijing--360 degrees, but most importantly, over the palace itself.  I wanted to get that view last time I was in Beijing, but I was rushed for time then, and after plodding through the unendingly vast Forbidden City in 97 degree heat, I looked at the stairs up the hill and gave up.  

This time, though, I waited for a good day; I was afraid the smog would never clear.  Truthfully, it would have been a bit better a little later in the afternoon; the sun was really too high for good-quality pictures.  I'll remember that if I'm ever in Beijing again.  

After enjoying the view from Jinshang park, I went down the hill, crossed the road, and entered another park, Beihai.  Which I will tell you all about in my next post.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment