Thanksgiving at the Duncans'

Thursday, November 22, 2018


I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!  Having Thanksgiving dinner was a bonus for me this year; Mom cooked Thanksgiving dinner in August before I left so that we could celebrate together.  

The Shorts and I drove to Kisongo, a town about a forty-minute drive away (almost to Arusha) to have dinner with a missionary family there, the Duncans.  The Duncans (Philip and Bekah and their sons Micah and Nathan) work on the farm that supports the School of Preaching (ACSOP).  They arrived in Tanzania the same week I did.  If you'd like to know more about their work, here is their blog: https://havegodwillgo.com/.   Ralph and Twyla Williams, Canadians (but who lived in Memphis for thirty years) who live up in Monduli Juu (up on the mountain that Monduli is at the base of) and Margaret Thompson, who is a veterinarian who works for a Christian organization in Karatu, were also there.   

I should have taken a group photo, but it seems I have mostly pictures of the food.  I did get a couple of photos with people, but Michela would only be in them if I promised not to post them publicly. :)

Turkeys are not a native species here; the only turkeys for sale and brought in just for foreigners at holidays, but cost nearly $100 USD.  We all decided we were happy forgoing turkey, so instead, we had both chicken (roasted and barbecued) and guinea fowl.  I took broccoli salad, bacon glazed carrots, and jalapeno roll-ups.  We had plenty to eat, in true Thanksgiving fashion!  



0 comments:

Post a Comment