Kickball with Preform

Wednesday, November 07, 2018


One of the great things about teaching preform is that I have the time to do more hands-on activities.  We had a unit in Civics/Life Skills about physical fitness, which had led to a discussion of sports and games.  The most popular sport by far here is soccer, but the students also enjoy volleyball, netball (a basketball-like game mostly played by girls), and there's a ping pong table.  They have a basic familiarity with basketball, although it's not a sport they play much or generally have facilities for.  

On a beautiful November morning (a bit too beautiful; I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me to wear sunscreen--I had a very red neck for several days after), I took them out to the soccer field to teach them to play kickball.  They caught on pretty well, although they tended towards chasing people with the ball to tag them out instead of relying on the bases.  While I don't think it's destined to become the next big Tanzanian sport, we had fun and it's always good to get out of the classroom for a bit.

Here are a few pictures of our game! 







0 comments:

Post a Comment