My New Apartment

Sunday, March 17, 2019


On March 17th, I finally moved into my own apartment!  I've been living in the Shorts' guesthouse since moving here in August, but they have many visitors coming over the next few months, and a good opportunity came up to rent this apartment with a friend as my landlord.  I've somehow managed to acquire quite a bit to move just in the few months I've been here.  It only took one vehicle, but it was crammed quite full!  The house came furnished with the big things--a fridge, stove, couches, two arm chairs, two beds, some linens and a couple of fans, but I'd been shopping for some pans, cooking utensils, some small plastic carts for the bathrooms, etc.  The Shorts are letting me borrow a folding table and chair until I can get a table (there might be one in another apartment that can be moved in, but we'll see).  They had also saved some items from when another mission team in Mbulu had left more items that they could use when they left Tanzania a couple of years ago, so I inherited a set of dishes, a set of glasses (if you ever visit, DO NOT stack the glasses!  They stick together!), a mixer and a few other kitchen and organizational items. 

The Shorts as well as three young guys that were hanging about (Sheki, Amadeus and Camara) that Tammy roped into helping came to help unpack everything and do things like wipe out dusty cabinets.  (I gave the boys enough money for the three of them to go get dinner from one of our local restaurants as a thank you--about five dollars).  Deborah, who is ten, washed nearly all of my dishes, and then came back the next day and washed all the rest.  That might have been a bad move on her part, because now we all know she is capable of washing dishes well.  But it was much appreciated!

Sheki and Amadeus were very helpful.  Rebecca had hidden Camara's phone, and apparently, he is paralyzed without it.
As you can see, the walls throughout the house are a light sage green color; I'm glad it's not white, and the color is neutral enough that nothing clashes too badly with it.  I really love the floors--they are tile in a three-toned wood pattern.  I know the couch probably seems a bit loud in pattern, but trust me, this is surprisingly neutral and tasteful compared to many examples I've seen locally. There are two bedrooms, so if anyone comes to visit, I have space for you!  




The outside of the house is a pale seafoam green color, except for on the porch, where it is tan. (?)  Not sure why. We had these doors propped wide open while moving in, but in general, I'll use the side door through the kitchen.  These doors off the porch have a wide gap underneath, so there is a towel stuffed under for now, so it'll be easier to just use the other door on a daily basis.  The house has a high wall around it (seven feet or so? No one can see over) and its own gate as well as outdoor lights all around, so it is quite safe. 

So far, I'm really enjoying having my own place again.  It'll be nice to be able to entertain, as well; I enjoy having dinner parties.  I also hope that I'll be able to feel more like part of the community, as I'll be stopping for bread at a different duka (small neighborhood store) and have new neighbors who won't see me as just an extension of the Short family.  It's only a five to ten-minute walk back the Shorts' house, though, so I'm not too far away.  


0 comments:

Post a Comment