Wednesday Afternoon Adventures

Wednesday, February 03, 2021

Students as soon as class is over...

Wednesday afternoon...I finished classes for the day with form two, with the last class of the day, from 2:00-3:20.  They get sleepy in the afternoon after lunch, so as soon as class finished, many of them flopped.  Later, I got some photos at an afternoon assembly.  The students have assemblies at various times, and the teacher on duty calls them most afternoons at some points to make announcements and give instructions for whatever the afternoon's activities are. 





The prefects stand at the front facing the other students. This afternoon's activity turned out to include a punishment for form one for something-or-other (I think because many of them are in a bad habit of being late to class after every break); they had to pick weeds out of the grass around the belltower for a while (a pretty light punishment around here; it doesn't take that long with 37 of them in the class). 


While the weather had been so beautiful all day, it didn't last.  Just before I was ready to leave for the day, a dark cloud came over the mountain and the rain started.  David and Oscar joked about calling Tizo to come get us all with his car, but in the end, we all made our way home somehow.  I tried waiting a while to see if it would clear up, but it was almost dark before it lightened up so I decided to go for it.  None of my usual boda boda drivers were available at the moment, and most won't drive if it's pouring rain anyhow.  I finally got one, but he was way over on the other side of town and he was willing to come get me, but it would be a while.  I started walking, but it was rough going as I didn't have my muck boots with me and the road was quickly turning to sludge.  I got a ways, but realized it was going to take hours at the rate I was going picking through the slick spots.  However, Baraka, our school maintenance guy/general handyman around town (he's the one we all call when we need anything done around the house), happened by on his motorcycle and took pity on me, and drove me to the end of my road.  

My road was already too bad for a motorcycle to go on safely, so I picked my way on foot.  You can see the results.  I had mud up to my knees.  Sigh, is rainy season over yet?  (It just started.  It won't be over until May at least.) 


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment