Off Again

Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Again, I feel the need to sing that Whitesnake song...Here I go again, on my own, going down the only road I've ever known...

It's a miserable foggy cold rainy day here in Wuhan, but I am in a taxi making my way around the 3rd ring road to the airport. 

It seems that most people prefer to travel for a week or two at a time, but I have always liked the long hauls, the meandering journeys, drifting from place to place. 
The longest I've been gone on a continuous trip was seven weeks, if you don't count the two-and-a-half month study abroad I went on in Belgium when I was in college, which I really don't since, while we were gone from home for longer, we had a home base that we always returned to. So, seven weeks of continuous travel; that was my first exploration of China, Vietnam, and Laos, in the summer of 2010. I guess nostalgia is an odd emotion for the beginning of a trip, but nonetheless my past journeys are on my mind.
Looking ahead, this trip will be just a bit over five weeks; I have to return by Valentine's Day as classes begin again the Monday after. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment