Rainy Season Begins, and Form 2 are Hams as Always

Monday, March 09, 2020


Well, it seems that rainy season is here!  I was in class with form one this afternoon, but just before the end of class, the bottom dropped out.  The rain's pouring down out there.  When it was time for class (the last of the day) to end, we all just stayed there, as it was raining too hard to get anywhere else without being soaked.  The way it was raining, even the covered porch of the building wasn't dry. 


However, this week and next we're on a bit of an odd schedule; instead of taking a whole week with no regular classes to have exams, we're doing one exam a day in addition to regular classes.  They're alternating, in the morning one day and in the afternoon the next day, and the exams are only about half as long as what we usually write.  There are so many national and regional exams that we've gotten away from doing many of our own exams, but teachers did want to assess the students now since Easter (and thus the spring exams, taken the week before the Easter break) is rather late this year. 


Mr Godfrey braved the rain and turned up to give the students today's exam, which is physics.  I hung around for a few minutes, but then I could hear that form 2 next door wasn't doing anything, and I haven't spent much time with them lately.  Our current form 2 are the students that I first taught at this school, when they came from Preform from September to November in 2018 before starting as regular students in January 2019.  And then last year, I spent a lot of time with them since form one's schedule is heavily weighted with English compared to other forms, since if they don't understand English well they won't do well in other courses, either, which are all taught in English.  So, they were my babies.  But now they're in form 2, which I don't teach, so I'm not interacting with them at all this year as a teacher, unless they come to the library to see me.  Several have been asking me to come by their classroom more often to see them, so I took the opportunity. 


The teacher to give the form 2 exam had not yet braved the rain, so we had several minutes to chat, and I took a few photos for them since they are HUGE hams.  Here are a few of my favourites: 


These boys...first they try to look cool, and then just silly.  I can't help but smile every time I look at these, though.  In the photo above: (back) Dismas, Pascal, Ombeni, Isaya, Isack, Martin, Athuman (front) Gabriel, Evance and John. 

Once I finally got the boys out of the way (seriously, biggest hams ever), the girls wanted some photos.  However, the boys kept trying to get back in. Ombeni just walked right in front, making a ridiculous face, but John and Gabriel kept crouching behind and then jumping up when the photo was being taken. 

Finally, no boys in this one! 



The girls can be hams, too, when they want to be. :) 

After a while, the rain slacked off slightly, and Mr Ilampa made it over to give form 2 their test and I made a run for the library.  




0 comments:

Post a Comment