Drive to Monduli

Wednesday, September 05, 2018


I enjoyed the drive from the airport to Monduli, despite being tired and feeling gross after sleeping in my clothes on the flight; the landscape is so different here and I took plenty of pictures out of the windshield.  We could see Mt Kilimanjaro from the area around the airport, but there were clouds so we could only see the lower slopes.  Just seeing the base of it gives a good idea of how big it must be, though.  I look forward to seeing it better someday in clearer weather. 


did pass near Mt Meru, which is just north of Arusha, on the way as well; it wasn't terribly clear today but more so than Kilimanjaro.  I'll be close enough to that one to get plenty of chances to see it, though.  It's the fifth highest mountain in Tanzania.



We passed through the city of Arusha, the closest large city to us (and I believe it is the third largest in Tanzania), and then on towards Monduli mountain.  The landscape between Arusha and Monduli is mostly flat with sudden large, barren hills jutting up out of nowhere; it's clear we're well into the dry season (there haven't been significant rains since May and won't be until at least November).  The land is dusty, with brown, parched grasses and the occasional scrubby tree or bush.  It's barren but beautiful.  While I'm not looking forward to the mud of the rainy season, it'll be fun to see this desert-like land burst into bloom.  




And finally...pulling up to the gate in front of the Shorts' house.  I'll be staying in their guest house for a while.


0 comments:

Post a Comment