My Youth Group Kids

Sunday, September 02, 2018


After the fellowship meal, the Shorts and I walked down to the castle along with “i ragazzi” (can be
translated ‘the young people’, ‘the guys’, etc).  These are the kids I taught in Sunday school and took
to camp and bowling and all when they were in middle school; when I met them they barely knew each
other and it was wonderful to watch them build relationships over the two years I worked with them.  
I’ll probably always called them “i ragazzi”, but now, nine years later, they are all in their twenties,
ranging from 20-25. I’m officially old now.

I’m proud of them and the people they are becoming.  

Matteo was the baby of the group; he was 10-12 while I was there.  Now he is twenty. He is still very
active in the church; he’s on the rotation to lead the communion every fourth week.  He has now been
dating Francesca, a girl from the church in Vicenza who is now in college in Milan, for over two years.
I remember her from the Christian camp we all attended back then, as well.  They make it over to
Vicenza to worship with her family and home congregation pretty frequently, too. This past summer,
they returned to camp to be counselors themselves. I hadn’t known that before seeing them this time,
and it nearly brings tears to my eyes to see one of the kids that I drug off to camp years ago now
completing the cycle by mentoring younger kids.  

Rovelyn and Rodalyn are cousins;Rovelyn was part of my little youth group from day one, when she
was about eleven.  Rodalyn came later, near the end of my time in Milan, but in time to go to camp
with us in 2009. Rodalyn is now twenty-five and works in a restaurant; she comes to church
occasionally but definitely needs more encouragement (her parents have stopped attending, but her
aunt and uncle are still very active, so they keep trying.)  

Rovelyn is now twenty-one and is in her second year (high school lasts a year longer here in Italy than
in the US, so most people start college at age nineteen or twenty) of university for mathematical
engineering. She always been a good student, and I’m so glad she’s doing well in college.  

The Shorts were visiting in Italy a couple of years ago, and Lewis sent me a message on facebook
messenger that Rovelyn had decided to be baptized, and then, a bit later, that Nico had decided to be
baptized as well.  I was so happy to hear about it even as it was happening!

Janfor and Nico are brothers who had just arrived in Italy from the Philippines when I met them.  The
third brother, Ever (Nico’s twin) was still with family in the Philippines at the time, so this was my first
time meeting him.  Janfor I mentioned in my previous post; he’s doing well as a cook in a restaurant.
Unfortunately, he’s the one of the group that very rarely comes to church (he’s usually working
Sundays even if he wanted to, but he’s not all that interested at this point anyhow), but with his family
all there maybe someday he’ll see the value again.  

Nico and Ever also work in restaurants; Ever was a Christian before coming to Italy, and Nico, as I
mentioned earlier, was baptized a couple of years ago.  It was a bit weird meeting them; Ever looks
just like Nico did when I knew him, while Nico has started wearing glasses and has done his hair
differently. The twins have been saving up their vacation time and are hoping to make a trip back to
the Philippines to spend Christmas with their grandparents this year.  

The only one I didn’t get to see was Manuela; she now lives in England (her older sister had married
and moved there right after I left Italy, so it wasn’t a surprise that Manuela followed her to do university
there), where she is an active member of the church.  Rovelyn has talked to her more recently than I
have, and said she’s graduating from nursing school this month.

In all my years in some form of ministry, these kids were the best part.  It was great to see them all
and how they’re doing now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment