Leaving Milan

Tuesday, September 04, 2018

Leaving is hard. Not just the saying goodbye, but physically as well. I was sweating and my back was killing me as I hurried to repack my bags before leaving Marisa’s. Of course, I had planned carefully so that I would only have to open one of the vacuum bags and thus this wouldn’t be too difficult--but with my suitcase containing the one bag holding the clothes I meant to wear in Italy being one its own little vacation for five days, I had had to open three of the four. Fortunately, Marisa has a vacuum! I was concerned that she wouldn’t as she doesn’t have any carpets...but she is a professional cleaner and has one anyhow for cleaning out window sills, etc. I’m almost glad the airport kept my bag so long; I don’t know how I would have moved all of this stuff several times; just the one suitcase along with my backpack and purse nearly killed me. Also, of course, the day we left was also, by far, the hottest day since we’d been in Milan. The cool, comfortable, cloudy days were over and the sun was bright.

Fortunately, Michela came out to help me roll the other one, and Marisa pointed out that a taxi to Cadorna where we were catching the airport express train wasn’t all that expensive (ended up being about eight dollars, and was worth every penny not to have to drag all that down the stairs to the metro). Lewis and Tammy and the other girls had gone ahead on an earlier train, as they needed to redo their bags they had left in storage at the airport. It was Janfor’s day off, and he had come up to the church building to spend a bit more time with them, and got roped into helping. They left the keys with him as well as our tickets, which they had already bought. He met us, had already figured out the time of the next train and the track, and helped Michela and I load the suitcases onto the train; he was such a huge help. I don’t know how we would have managed it all without him.

0 comments:

Post a Comment