School of Preaching

Wednesday, September 19, 2018


Today I accompanied Beth and the kids on several errands; we went to the butcher, which was down a long, bumpy road that looked like it was leading nowhere.  Despite being very out of the way (you'd never find this place by accident), the butchery was very nice.  It's owned by a South African expat, and has high-quality meat.  

We also stopped by the school of preaching in Kisongo; they have a farm that helps to support the school, and they sell eggs by the tray.  Michela wanted to stop and see if we could pick up a few trays--it's amazing how quickly we go through eggs.  I've gotten into the habit of eating a couple for breakfast every morning for the protein, as the Shorts typically eat less meat in their diet than I'm used to (and as a diabetic, I feel a lot better when I have plenty of protein with my carbs).  Omelettes are my go-to when I need a quick meal, too, so I guess going through eggs quickly should be a surprise.  

Some of you may have heard of the school of preaching here; I know of several preachers from middle Tennessee who have visited before.  The church was originally established in Arusha, but moved to its current location in Kisongo, a small town just outside of Arusha, a few years ago. The school is associated with Bear Valley.  I haven't actually been inside myself, although there are various lectureships and other events open to area Christians, so I'm sure I will at some point.  There are two American missionary families that live in the area; Justin and Anna Maynard have been there for a couple of years and live right by the school and the Duncans live about a fifteen-minute walk away.  They arrived the same week I did. 

If you'd like to know more about the school, here's a short introduction:

https://www.kellercofc.org/missions-andrew-connolly-school-of-preaching/

If you'd like to hear about the work of missionaries I know here:

The Maynards: http://goatgirlgazette.com/

The Duncans: https://havegodwillgo.com/

There's a beautiful view over open fields to Mt Meru from in front of the preaching school.  This photo looks like it has a filter on it, but it does not; the late afternoon light combined with a bit of haze created a natural filter.


0 comments:

Post a Comment