South-bound Bus

Saturday, August 23, 2014


Saturday morning I slept in a bit (this is becoming a trend...) after my full day wandering KL, packed up, and made my way to the Terminal Bersepadu Selatan on the south side of the city to catch a bus down to Malacca.  The bus terminal, attached to the commuter trail line, was sparkling new and had a wide array of fast food places and big-brand convenience shops (7-11 and the like instead of overcrowded little mom-and-pop places).  I don't know when I've been in a cleaner and airier bus station--this seems to be becoming a trend as well.  Malaysia is a bit richer than most of southeast Asia, and it shows.

The trip down to Malacca (Melaka in Malay; sorry if I confuse you by using whichever one comes to mind first) only took a couple of hours--as I was on an air-conditioned bus with two seats to myself, I almost wished it took a little longer.  As we left the outskirts of KL behind and headed south, the (modern, wide, traffic-law-abiding) interstate passed by pineapple and banana plantations, with the mountains in the central part of the peninsula in the background.  We stepped off the bus into another mall-like bus station, and I followed the direction from the hostel I'd booked, which were quite easy to navigate, especially thanks to yet another friendly grandmother I sat next to, who pointed out the correct stop.  I found myself right in the middle of it all, in Dutch Square.

0 comments:

Post a Comment