Luxurious Bus to Ranong

Tuesday, August 06, 2013

I'm on the bus to Ranong now. I wasn't sure what to expect. I figured I'd be rushed into a crowded minibus-a glorified van-still in my damp denim capris, which got soaked getting on the ferry in a downpour this morning. After all, Ranong isn't a huge destination. 

I was very pleasantly surprised.  Turns out that Ranong is a stop on the route to Bangkok. So, it is a plush double-decker. The inside is padded with hot pink vinyl, with pale gold curtains on the windows. I even had forty-five minutes before the bus to change clothes and buy some bananas. 

I didn't understand the seat numbering system at first, but was pointed by a helpful passerby to exactly the seat I would have chosen-front row window seat, right over the driver (so, on the right-they drive on the right here).

Since we've been moving, a girl wearing a neat skirt and starched white blouse-almost like a flight attendant-has brought us each a blanket, a bottle of water, and a package of strawberry cookies, all included in the price of the ticket,which was only about $9.50 for the five-hour trip. 

I'm so comfortable in here out of the rain that I wouldn't mind if it takes even longer. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment